The California Endowment (TCE), established in 1996, is a $3.5B private, statewide health foundation with a mission to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians.
In its efforts to change systems affecting the health of low-income populations across California, TCE recognizes that mission impact is maximized when combining it’s grant-making strategy with mission investing. As such, over the last decade, TCE has made a commitment to utilizing impact investments to complement its grant-making and catalyze opportunity and health equity for all Californians. Impact investments include Program-Related Investments (PRI) and Mission Related Investments (MRI). TCE defines PRIs as flexible, often below market-rate investments structured to generate significant social impact. TCE defines MRIs as investments that are aligned with TCE’s mission and values broadly and generate market level rates of return.
The California Endowment is looking to expand and grow its impact investing activity and is looking to complement its growing team with Analyst that can support its impact investing activities. The Analyst will have significant responsibilities on this growing and entrepreneurial team. Key responsibilities include conducting underwriting and due diligence for PRIs and MRIs, supporting the infrastructure for Impact Investing at TCE and helping to deepen our commitments to racial equity and greater impact for the communities we serve.
This position offers significant exposure into the field of impact investing.
This is an exciting and ideal position for an entrepreneurial individual that wants to build an impact investing career. This position will report either to the Director or Manager on the team.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Support PRIs and MRIs through conducting due diligence and portfolio management
- Help develop impact measurement framework and manage ongoing impact theses and measurement which includes data collection, analysis, and extraction of critical insights
- Responsible for production and coordination required for internal and external communications regarding the impact investing program which includes a regular social impact report, management of the internal and external website presence, setting up internal brown bags, etc.
- Coordinates internal and related external evaluation efforts
- Conducts research on relevant and emerging policy, funding streams and aligned programs on behalf of the team; conducts research in support of the MRI investments
- Serves as the lead for integrating impact investing within TCE’s back office information technology and software
- Prepares of board reports and other documents for the team, as needed
- Experience underwriting and evaluating transactions (preferably in community development, private equity, venture capital, real estate)
- Must be a self-starter – able to work independently and effectively as part of a team
- Strong project management and organization skills; experience effectively managing multiple projects across different internal and external constituents to drive results
- Experience gathering and assessing qualitative and quantitative data for insight
- Excellent written communication skills
- Must love attention to detail
- Familiarity with impact investing/community development/finance preferred
- Occasional travel required
- Minimum 4 years work experience
- Undergraduate degree required.
About The California Endowment
The California Endowment, a private, statewide health foundation, was established in 1996 to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, The Endowment has regional offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno and San Diego, with program staff working throughout the state. The Endowment challenges the conventional wisdom that medical settings and individual choices are solely responsible for people’s health. The Endowment believes that health happens in neighborhoods, schools, and with prevention. For more information, visit The Endowment’s Web site at www.calendow.org
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to HRresumes@calendow.org and reference “Analyst, Impact Investing” in the subject line. Your cover letter should describe your interest in The California Endowment and how your prior experience can help us advance our impact investing practice.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.