Sr. Manager of Staff Development and Talent Engagement, Los Angeles CA
WHO WE ARE
The California Endowment is a private, statewide health foundation established in 1996 whose mission is to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians. We’re changing the narrative around health to ensure health and justice for all. And each day we, along with our community partners, seek ways to improve the state of health in California.
Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, we have regional offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno and San Diego, with program staff working throughout the state. We challenge the conventional wisdom that medical settings and individual choices are solely responsible for people’s health. Instead, we believe that health happens in neighborhoods, schools and with prevention.
For more information on the Endowment, please visit www.calendow.org.
The Endowment is seeking a creative and entrepreneurial Senior Manager, Staff Development & Talent Engagement to join the Human Resources Team. This role will support the Endowment by providing strategic vision for, and executing on, the organization’s learning and leadership goals and leading efforts to sustain and evolve our organizational culture. This is a new role at the Endowment and we are looking for a strategic leader to effectively build internal capacity around training and staff development and to help create an organization-wide culture of learning.
The Human Resources team supports the Endowment’s goals by aligning and developing policies, programs and benefits supporting our mission, vision, core values, inclusive people strategies and foundation objectives. Human Resources also serves as a coach and consultant to staff and management. Our goal is to see that employees are challenged with meaningful and impactful work; to ensure access to internal learning opportunities; and to help all employees thrive in and contribute to a collaborative, equitable and inclusive culture.
This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and will be responsible for identifying learning and development priorities, building strategies to meet those priorities and measuring progress along the way. Areas of development may include leadership, change management, mentorship programs, communications, interpersonal and facilitation skills, cultural competency and coaching. This position also supports our performance management process, oversees and coordinates coaching engagements, co-manages an organization wide learning calendar, and provides expertise across the spectrum of people transformation and development programs.
The Senior Manager is expected to stay current with developments and practices in coaching and leadership, to strategically define and implement learning strategies technology and to be comfortable operating at both a strategic and hands-on level. This is an exceptional opportunity for a candidate who is excited about contributing to a learning culture, building alignment across organizational stakeholders and delivering resources and programs that meet organizational needs and advance The Endowment’s mission.
This is a full-time position located in Los Angeles, California with occasional travel to offices throughout the state.
The Senior Manager, Staff Development & Talent Engagement will be responsible for the following:
- Function as a collaborative thought partner in designing a strategic approach to learning and development that addresses organizational needs and develops talent all while building consensus and providing alternative approaches and progressive solutions.
- In collaboration with internal stakeholders, designs, develops and partners with other team members in delivering high-quality learning and development experiences. Assess and continually improve the effectiveness of learning programs to enhance overall impact and ROI.
- Research emerging trends in strength-based teachings, leadership development, culture, coaching, and change management. Conduct and analyze survey data and responses from peer foundations to support recommendations and shifting trends in learning and leadership.
- Build strong and thoughtful relationships with all staff, supports the Endowment’s investment in professional employee development and change management culture.
- Work in partnership with colleagues to strengthen a culture of learning, coaching, and inclusion. Collaborate with other departments to coordinate staff development agendas with ongoing learning efforts related to all Endowment trainings.
- Plan, manage, calendar and communicate plans and objectives and other learning opportunities.
- Serve as a thought partner to staff regarding organizational needs and advocate for projects that encourage participation across all departments to reinforce a sense of community.
- Solve problems, get to the root cause of issues, and design and implement training solutions that cut across multiple functional areas and departments.
- Oversee department learning and consulting budget.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications and personal qualities:
- Knowledge of progressive strategies in Human Resources, with a particular expertise in coaching and learning.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high social and emotional intelligence and proven experience delivering successful presentations and programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, collaboration and the ability to work effectively across and in support of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to listen first and build strong relationships with individuals at all levels; adept at engaging others in determining needs and solutions; and open to receiving and incorporating feedback into continuous learning, awareness and improvement.
- Proven project management experience having successfully managed high-profile projects within a highly collaborative, transparent and inclusive environment.
- Proficient in prioritizing and managing complex tasks while setting and meeting deadlines along with an orientation toward execution and resolution.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working through solutions when there is no obvious path.
- Optimism in the face of challenging problems. Able to skillfully facilitate others through change.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Experienced meeting facilitator, coach and designer of effective learning sessions.
- PHR/SPHR Certification preferred.
- Candidates must have a minimum of five to seven years of practical experience in training or staff development or HR generalist with broad experience in this area.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in relevant field a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The California Endowment offers attractive salaries and benefits, and a progressive work environment.
Erin Reedy and Alicia Salerno of Koya Leadership Partners have been engaged by The California Endowment to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
The California Endowment is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on diversity, equity, inclusion and to creating a work environment where the individual is valued and respected.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.