The California Endowment (TCE) is committed to promoting shared learning among our grantees, partners, board, and staff to create healthier communities. We do so through supporting evaluation and research and through sharing what we learn with our partners and the field. We work to apply data and research in real time to inform strategy and to create greater impact. In addition, we seek feedback on our role as a funder and change-maker in order to become a more effective leader.
We measure progress by assessing efforts in Building Healthy Communities (BHC) to create policy and systems changes that lead to improved health outcomes and by evaluating our contribution to building the strength of communities to create change. We are guided by a high-level set of priorities we refer to as the 2020 Goals: A Message from President Robert K. Ross.
The California Endowment launched Building Healthy Communities (BHC) in 2009. Starting in 2012, the foundation began working with evaluators to create cross-cutting evaluations of the initiative. These evaluations provide insight into the progress and challenges experienced in BHC and lift up lessons for the field.
- North Star Goals and Indicators
- 2018 NSGI dashboard – Annual report highlighting 2017-2018 progress towards the four BHC goals using TCE’s North Star Goals and Indicators Framework
- Growing a Diverse Health Workforce: Lessons Learned and Insights from Investments in Health Career Pathways – This report includes lessons learned and case examples from the 14 Building Healthy Community sites of effective practices for building programs and systems that make health careers accessible to diverse and under-represented youth.
- Powergrid Report: Building Healthy Communities at 5 Years
- The California Endowment CEO Goals
- Strategic Review: Building Healthy Communities
- How Can This Leading Health Equity Funder Bolster Its Community Impact?
- There’s Something Happening Here: A Look at The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities Initiative
- Pivot to Power Report by USC PERE – A Pivot to Power offers lessons learned from TCE’s shift from power building as a driver to supporting power building as a goal, with findings based on a multi-disciplinary review of academic and popular literature, surveys and interviews with organizers, funders, and intermediaries primarily from the 14 BHC communities
- A Brief Synthesis of Cross-Site Measures of Progress Over the First Five Years
- 2010-2018 All BHC Accomplishments (2018) – Cites more than 780 wins…
In addition to these big-picture evaluations, TCE is tracking progress in the 14 BHC sites through the following research:
Case Studies and Learning Briefs
Through periodic case studies, we hope to spur learning and dialogue by lifting up examples of leaders building healthy communities. Please feel free to contact the case study author for more information.
- Overview of Lessons from Health Coverage Enrollment Events
- Advancing a Bold Campaign to Promote Health Access for All
- Understanding the Experiences of LGBTQ Students in California
- Case Study: Improving Physical Education in a Sacramento School District
- Case Study: The Fresno Campaign to Improve Local Land Use Policy
- Case Study: City Heights Skate Park
- Case Study: School Discipline Reform in California