Director of Human Resources
WHO WE ARE
The California Endowment is a private, statewide health foundation established in 1996 whose mission is to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians. We’re changing the narrative around health to ensure health and justice for all. And each day, along with our community partners, we seek ways to improve the state of health in California.
We challenge the conventional wisdom that medical settings and individual choices are solely responsible for people’s health. Instead, we believe that health happens in neighborhoods, schools and with prevention.
This position is in our headquarters in downtown Los Angeles and will require occasional travel to our regional offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno and San Diego.
We are seeking a Human Resources Director strategically and operationally focused to assist with development and execution of human resource programs and solutions that help drive behaviors and attain organizational goals. Our new director will have a strong background in the core competencies of human resources with genuine excitement in building and supporting an inclusive and equitable culture of engagement, collaboration, operational excellence, and recognition.
Our goal is to see employees challenged with meaningful and impactful work, thriving and contributing along their career journey as they work to support the organization’s mission and vision.
You will apply your expertise and thought leadership in developing workplace practices and policies that support our culture while working closely with leadership in designing and implementing strategies that enable the organization to reach its greater potential. In alignment with our values, you will develop processes related to employee on-boarding, staff development, change management, coaching, leadership and employee advocacy.
The successful candidate is a strategic and process-oriented change-agent, collaborator, and an excellent participative leader. Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), the Director, Human Resources will focus on ensuring that TCE has the right talent to translate TCE’s strategic vision into reality. As a human resource business partner, you will:
- Partner with the CHRO to ensure that the human resource programs and policies create an environment that enables the workforce to achieve career goals and aspirations while supporting the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for day-to-day workforce relations to include ensuring that work environments and workplace practices promote a positive employee relations environment free of discrimination, harassment, or any form of unfair or unethical practice.
- Think and act strategically. Assist the leadership team to drive initiatives and remain on the leading edge. Understand current environmental and economic issues and their impact on people.
- Provide human resource consulting and coaching with colleagues to strengthen a culture of learning, coaching and inclusion; collaborate with internal teams to identify staff development needs and training.
- Serves as lead partner for oversight of the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) to include implementation of a learning management system (LMS) designed to track and monitor employee development plans and training.
- Collaborates with management on succession planning and leadership development, including the development of a mentorship and coaching program.
- Functions as a collaborative thought partner building consensus with staff and leaders and presenting alternative approaches and solutions to business initiatives.
- Partners closely with HR colleagues regarding annual people activities such as talent management and engagement, compensation, policy development and culture.
- Responsible for day-to-day workforce relations to include ensuring that the work environment and workplace practices promote positive employee relations.
- Partners with management to reimagine the performance evaluation system and procedures, establish data-driven, measurable, key metrics and qualitative measures to inform staff development.
- Engages in department budget planning and manages resource allocation of the department learning and consulting budget.
The successful candidate will bring many of the following personal attributes and competencies to this role:
- Knowledge of current human resources best practices, extensive experience in organizational behavior, employee relations, compensation, benefits and employee development; and HR compliance.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically in building consensus and collaboration to articulate and implement human resources programs that reflect organizational goals;
- Approaches work with commitment to integrity, our values and a deep appreciation for the foundation’s mission;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity, diversity, inclusion, and working effectively across and in support of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Depth of knowledge of compensation management and surveys, wage and hour law, labor law, legal compliance, benefits, EEO/AA guidelines, investigations, prevention and awareness programs;
- Experience in policy development, business process improvement and implementation;
- A proven track record of working effectively with teams and managers to achieve cohesive, transparent, efficient and effective operations;
- Excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills, including conflict resolution and presentation skills;
- An active listener with excellent communication skills, a presence that engenders trust, confidence, and respect, and the ability to lead by influence and example;
- Strategic and operational problem solving and analytical ability including data analysis, financial and budget management and planning; ability to use data to inform and influence decisions;
- Strong interpersonal skills to allow for effective and positive communication with management across all constituent groups; demonstrated leadership/supervisory experience, and the ability to deliver sensitive information tactfully and professionally;
- Strong attention to detail, a high sense of urgency and a good sense of humor.
- Extensive leadership experience within human resources and experience working with and advising senior executives;
- Demonstrated competence, knowledge, and comfort with strategy and execution of Human Resources process improvement and automation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree in HR management or business-related field preferred, professional certifications such as SHRM, HRCI, and/or other related professional certifications are strongly desired;
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws.
- A broad range of HR knowledge and hands-on experience in organizational change, employee relations, performance management, business consulting, engagement, and conflict resolution.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible HR work experience with 5 years of direct management experience.
- Demonstrated success and excellence in the areas of diversity, inclusion, racial equity, project management, team and relationship building.
- Demonstrated familiarity with HR information systems, with knowledge of ADP Workforce a plus.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits, and a progressive work environment.
We have a dedicated staff working throughout the state, headquartered in Los Angeles, with additional offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno, and San Diego. The California Endowment is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on diversity, equity, inclusion and to creating a work environment where the individual is valued and respected.
This is a full-time position located in Los Angeles, CA.
The California Endowment is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on diversity, equity, inclusion and to creating a work environment where the individual is valued and respected.
Please click here to apply.