Enrolling in health care coverage that includes a routine wellness check-up is just one element of practicing prevention. Ensuring that the places where we live, learn, and play support health is equally important to prevent illness and injury. This involves people being champions for their own health as well as for healthy conditions in their communities. Community residents and leaders across all sectors working together can give rise to better health for everyone.
What We’re Doing
- Increasing the participation and skills of residents, including youth, to gain a stronger voice and take part in efforts to improve their communities.
- Strengthening the way that government, community programs, and systems work together to promote health and equity.
- Supporting models for accessible, comprehensive, high quality, prevention-oriented health care throughout one’s lifespan.
- Promoting a “health in all policies” approach in civic decision-making and a multi-sector system of prevention in California to assure that conditions where people live, work, learn, and play actively promote health and equity.
- Supporting statewide and regional networks for leadership, learning and advocacy to improve community health through policy and systems changes.
- Diversifying the healthcare workforce through the support of key development programs for workers to prepare for high demand occupations in the public healthcare sector.