Unfortunately, undocumented Californians are locked out of access to affordable, quality health care. Despite the success of the Affordable Care Act, more than 1 million undocumented Californians remain uninsured. The California Endowment believes that ALL Californians should have access to health coverage, regardless of their immigration status.
That’s why in 2013, The Endowment launched #Health4All to find a statewide solution so that all Californians have access to affordable, quality health coverage. Our health care system works best when everyone participates—a system that excludes anyone, hurts everyone.
What We’re Doing
- We launched a public education campaign to inform Californians about the economic and social contributions of undocumented Californians and promote access to affordable, quality health care for everyone.
- We provide residents and grassroots organizations with the resources they need to fight to retain and expand access to safety-net health care services for the remaining uninsured.
- Based on the DefineAmerica.com outreach work of journalist, filmmaker and immigration advocate Jose Antonio Vargas and others, popular news outlets such as ABC’s Good Morning America, the Los Angeles Times, The New Yorker and The Associated Press pledged to use undocumented in place of “illegal immigrants.”
- Over 115,000 Californians have joined the campaign through change.org petitions, social media, and partners.
- More than 40,000 pieces of mail in support of #Health4All were returned in reaction to our direct mailing to targeted community households.